(07) 5527 3719CALL US NOW!
  • 8b/39 Lawrence Drive, Nerang, QLD 4211
  • Contact us

How To Get a Truck Driving Job

There is a great need for qualified truck drivers in Australia, and finding the right job is often a matter of knowing where to look. The salary and type of job you can get obviously depends on the truck licence you hold. If you do not already hold a truck licence, we recommend going straight to the HR licence at a minimum, as it will make you eligible for a lot more positions than a LR or MR licence. If you already have a truck licence, you might want to consider upgrading your licence to a higher class. Find out more information about the different truck licences here.



Restricted licences

It is not only the licence type you hold that can be a barrier to landing the job you want. The restrictions and conditions on the type of gearbox you can use can also be a major stumbling block to filling the advertised position. You will probably need fewer lessons to get your licence with an automatic gearbox (condition A), a synchromesh gearbox (condition B) or an un restricted licence (unconditional). But if your potential employer only has a vehicle with manual transmission, you will not be eligible for the position. When getting truck driving lessons, find out whether the truck driving school has trucks with a gearbox that prepares you for getting an unrestricted licence.

So now that you have the licence sorted, where do you find the positions?

Other requirements

Depending on the position, there might be some additional requirements relating to personal appearance. Basically if the position will be dealing with customer contact, it is important to maintain a clean and professional appearance with regards to clothing. A lot of truck driver jobs require a lot of manual handling, such as removalist positions and delivery positions, meaning that you need to be fit and ready to do some lifting and carrying. For some positions, you will also need to have a forklift licence, as loading and unloading is often performed with a forklift truck.

Advertised truck driving jobs

Not all truck driving jobs and positions are advertised, but it is a good place to start looking at employment portals such as Seek.com.au. When looking for positions, use a combination of searches such as your licence class i.e. MR licence, MR Driver, Truck Driver and so on.

Gumtree is another portal that is increasing in popularity for posting truck driver positions. You can use their internal search function to look for jobs using the same kind of keywords as in Seek.

The problem with advertised jobs, is that once the ads have been posted, you will be competing with a host of other applicants for the same positions. Luckily for you, there are a lot of non-advertised positions waiting for the right person to come along and express an interest.

Non-Advertised jobs

Some companies are more likely to look for qualified truck drivers than others. Most of these companies have up to date websites where they list their positions directly, or offer you to register your interest for upcoming positions. The following is a selection of companies that you can contact directly for job opportunities:

There are also a lot of companies to contact directly with regards to your preferred industry, such as haulage and mining truck jobs. We are currently working on creating a comprehensive resource for these kind of jobs.

What You Need To Know About Getting a Heavy Vehicle Licence

How To Get a Heavy Vehicle Licence

Getting your heavy vehicle licence is great for increasing your job opportunities, learning a new skill, and making yourself more available to the transport industry.

With so many different heavy vehicle options for you to choose from, you’re probably wondering which is the right licence for you to get.

Let me thoroughly yet briefly explain the different heavy vehicle Licences that are available to you, the job opportunities that you can obtain with each licence and which licence we down right believe is the best one.

There are 5 types of truck Licences available to you:

Light Rigid

A light rigid licence is a class up from a car licence. To be qualified to go for an LR licence you must have hold your car licence for 12 months.

An LR licence in the easiest licence to obtain. It allows you to drive small trucks (up to 8 tonne GVM), mini-buses and small motor homes.

When you receive your LR Licence you will be able to drive:

  • Coaster buses– hotel air-port transfer, aged care driver, backpacker/ hostel driver
  • Commuter buses for more than 12 seats (including the driver)
  • Small truck 4.5-8 tonne GVM g. -tradies, milk truck driver, produce delivery drivers, commercial alcohol delivery drivers

From a job seekers point of view it can be a restrictive licence, which is why we recommend the MR and HR Licence.

Medium Rigid

Applying for an MR licence will cover you for any truck and bus with 2 axles. To qualify for this licence you only need to have your car licence for 12months.

This type of licence will offer more job opportunities than an LR Licence as you can apply for jobs such as local freight delivery drive, removalists, car carriers, tow trucks and buses etc.

An MR Licence will allow you to drive a GVM greater than 8 tonne and any tow trailer, which doesn’t weigh greater than 9t GVM.

For not much more you would be able to upgrade to a HR licence and which is eligible for even more job opportunities. This is the ideal licence to apply for, if you’re currently job seeking.

Heavy Rigid

A HR Licence is the highest licence you can obtain from your car licence. It is the licence we recommend most for job seekers as it offers the best value and it makes you qualified to drive a much larger range of heavy vehicles with 3 or more axles.

To qualify for this licence you need to have your car licence for 2 years.

A HR Unconditional licence (no gearbox conditions) will be the best for you to obtain when it comes to employment opportunities because you’ll be qualified to drive any HR Vehicle with any type of gearbox.

Once you have your HR unconditional licence for over 12 months it will make it easier and more affordable to upgrade to a HC or MC licence where there is more money to be earned.

However everyone requires a HR unconditional licence.

For an entry-level licence into the road transport business you can simply do with a HR Condition B Licence, which is very affordable to obtain and also comes with lots of job opportunities. This is the ideal licence to get it if you wanted to drive trucks, buses and/or coaches for a living and not a road ranger gearbox.

Besides you can easily upgrade your licence to an unconditional at a later time when you need.

Heavy Combination

A HC licence is a truck or a prime mover towing 1 trailer. to be eligible for this licence you will require to have held a MR or HR licence for at least 12 months prior.

HC allows you to drive 1 trailer and any towed trailer with GVM of more than 9 tonne.

HC licence will qualify you to drive a semi-trailer, which includes a prime mover, pig trailers, floats and low loaders.

If obtaining a MC licence is your goal, then obtaining your HC licence for one year prior will be the best step, as insurance companies and majority of employers prefer this. It will help prepare your confidence and your skill for an MC Truck.

There are also three types of HC Licences to choose from:

  • HC Unconditional

HC Unconditional licence allows you to drive a non-synchromesh vehicle and requires you to have excellent manual skills. Obtaining this licence will allow you to drive an automatic, synchromesh or non-synchromesh gearbox and will require 12hrs of training

  • HC Condition B allows you to drive a synchromesh vehicle and requires you to have excellent manual skills. It will only require you to do 5-7 lessons
  • HC Condition A allows you to drive an automatic gearbox. Only requires you to do 5-7 lessons as well.

Multi Combination

A MC licence will allow you to drive a truck with more than 1 trailer commonly known as a B-double or road train. To be able to qualify for this licence you will require to have held your HR or HC licence for at least 12 months.

This is the highest licence you can get for the transport industry as a huge responsibility is placed on drivers using these vehicles. Unlike other Licences this particular licence due to its superiority is done by an accredited RTO.

To obtain this particular licence it will be done via a course rather than as a lesson.

To get this licence it’s important that you get it done with a training school that has a good reputation with RTO, such as School Of Transport.

Bottom line: choose a licence that will get you more job opportunities, which suit your needs and goals and then get as much experience under your belt as possible. Because unfortunately it is a viscous cycle where you’ll need experience just as much as a superior heavy vehicle licence to get picked for a job.

Some additionally word of advice, for new younger truck drivers looking for a job in the transporting industry, instead of search on seek, try looking at newspapers, noticeboards and truck industry magazines for job opportunities. Alternatively start as a removalist and get some Kms under your belt before you apply for your ideal job. This will make getting your ideal job, easier.


Want a truck licence or a licence upgrade? Get yours here!